Tuesday, July 2, 2013

With this Tartan I thee Wed.


This weekend I got married. Legally. After having done a commitment ceremony 13 years ago we finally got to go to the courthouse in San Francisco and tie the knot. It’s interesting to me that for the 2 days leading up to our wedding everyone kept asking me if I was nervous. What a silly question I thought, why should I be nervous. We have been married in our eyes for 13 years…this is just the day the government caught up. And of course we are moving back to Idaho in a couple weeks and Idaho is still one of those crazy states that won’t honor our marriage but at least we have something….at least DOMA is gone and so hopefully it will only be a few short years until the rest of the country catches up.
Since I’m new on my spiritual path and only had a short time to figure out what I was doing…and a civil ceremony at a courthouse isn't that flashy, I was trying to figure out some way to bring my spiritual and cultural identity into the day. So I asked around with a few good friends and on a few recon pages and came up with a few ideas.
13 years ago we exchanged rings so we decided we didn't need to do it again instead we decided to exchange Tartans as a way of accepting each other in to our clans. This comes from the traditions of some Clans pining on a piece of the husband’s tartan to the brides dress showing that she is now part of his family. Well with neither of us being the bride and both of us having strong connections to our families we thought this idea was nice. Additionally our friend who was also our witness brought in small shots of Barenjager (so we could start our marriage with honey on our tongue and shortbread to enjoy the sweetness of each other’s company. Also this would serve as our feast. She also was the one who wove us our tartan patches from yarn, following samples we found online. She also made some cute roses from rainbow ribbon and added them to the tartans to serve as boutonnieres.
Of course all this happened on Sunday during pride so instead of having a reception (and most of our friends and family couldn't attend) so we got to hang out and watch the parade and then go to the festival. After all how many people get to celebrate their wedding day with a million other people? hehe ok so they would have been there to celebrate without us but still I’m going with my delusion.
And for those of you keeping score…3 WEEKS TILL WE MOVE!!
Love you all


No comments:

Post a Comment