Saturday, September 8, 2012

why kilts?

So this morning I noted that even in Northern California one can get the odd look or two walking around in a Kilt. Of course part of it could be the loud pattern of the MacLeod of Lewis tartan I was wearing ;-)
This year at the Highland Games in Pleasanton, CA I got my third Kilt (ok, my 4th, but the first one I got when i was 18 no longer fits and isn't even a tartan belonging to any of the clans I'm descended from so I wont be wearing it again) anyway were was I? oh yes three kilts. so now that I have three (and they aren't cheep mind you) I decided its such a shame to have something and only wear it once or twice a year so I thought since I'm on this path for connecting to my heritage why not wear them during the week? obviously not every day....yet. and of course I still have to wear slacks to work (maybe a call to HR is in my future? lol or not) but yeah? why not? of course now I think I need a bigger sporran the one i have can hold more then my wallet, cell and keys, and that's with an empty wallet. 
If your thinking of doing the same, I have some insight to share. (for you brave men who have already taken the plunge keep reading you can laugh at me as you do)
first yes you will get some strange looks. the occasional kid will point at you and whisper to their parents. beyond that you will get the "im not looking at you look" which consists of adverting the eyes, with a possible smirk (that is struggling at being hidden) and an expression that loudly screams "don't look don't look don't look" you will also get some smiles (its amazing how many women (and men too) like the look of a man in a kilt) so its not all bad. 
next get ready for the questions like "why are you wearing a skirt" yes some people are really that ignorant. and the ever popular "what are you wearing under your kilt?" some snarky comebacks are always good. try "shoes" , "lipstick" or "talcum powder" of course my faves are "nothing is warn under my kilt, its all in working order" or  "I don't discuss such things with people like you" given time I'm sure you will find some good lines of your own.
Also remember whenever you don a kilt you have become an ambassador for Scottish and Celtic People everywhere (whether or not you really want to be) so be prepared to have lots of questions thrown your way. It might be a good idea to brush up on your history, current events and trivia about Scotland (Ireland, England and Wales while your at it. its amazing what people don't know but think you should) but mostly learn as much as you can about the clan who you are representing with the tartan you choose.
on that note. be careful what tartans you choose if any. I would say stay with the ones belonging to the clan(s) of your bloodline or one you have been adopted into. most Clansmen get quite offended if you are wearing their tartan without "right" as they see it. of course there are some "generic" tartans such as the Blackwatch, and most Stewart's are fine with you wearing the Royal Stewart tartan as it shows loyalty to the crown more then anything. and there are modern tartans for different company's and regions around the world (many countries, states and provinces have their own tartans these days) and if you work for that company or live or come from a particular area you should look into those as well. 
Lets not forget the Utilikilt and Explorer Kilts (among others) in this modern age kilts for the working man can be found in many places (think kilt/cargo shorts hybrid).
check them out at utilikilts.com/store/thekiltedviking and if you would be so kind use my reference code 113285. 
also for information on what clan if any you may belong to check out http://scotclans.com/
and for buying a traditional tartan kilt i would recommend W M Glen and Sons in San Francisco or online at www.wmglen.com I bought my first "real" kilt from them and have been happy with it for years.
But yes wear your kilt with pride, I do. why should we have fear or shame in wearing something that is a symbol of national and cultural pride to so many men who are proud to be called Scottish?

No comments:

Post a Comment