Saturday, September 15, 2012

not wiccan


Ok so I admit it I did start down this path as a Wiccan. In retrospect though, in the early 90’s in rural Idaho, I didn’t have many other choices. And while it worked well for me for nearly two decades, in the last few years I started exploring other options. Why? Well simply I needed something else. While I don’t see anything inherently wrong with Wicca and I do still think it is a valid religion for the many that it works well for, it just doesn’t work for me any longer.
So then what am I? Well at the moment, I’m not sure. I’m somewhere between Heathen (Nordic/Germanic Reconstructionist paganism) and Celtic Reconstructionist (also called CR as there isn’t a big word used for it yet). What both of these movements are doing is trying to re-create the pre-Christian religious practices of their ancestors (and I have ancestors from both cultures).
Well isn’t that Wicca? Um no, Wicca is a modern religion popularized by Gerald Gardner in the 1950’s. And while there is debate over whether or not Gardner’s work was based on an older system (most people now opting for the belief he made the whole thing up) but it now a very eclectic religion that borrows heavily from ceremonial lodges (the golden dawn, O.T.O., freemasons, etc.)as well as the eastern philosophies of Buddhism and Hinduism. Again not that there is anything wrong with this, but it is not what was practiced in the world of the ancient Celtic or Germanic peoples.
Another big difference between the two paths is that Wicca is pantheistic (all gods are one god and all that) while those of us on the Reconstructionist path are polytheistic (we believe in the existence of multiple gods who are wholly independent of one another). Where Wiccans like to work with archetypes like “Maiden, Mother, and Crone”; “The Horned God”; or “The Great Mother” (or “Father”)
Next, looking at ritual work or religious observances, we find many other differences. Wiccans cast circle, invoke the elements, and evoke the god forms and all that big show of ritual work. In CR or Heathenry it is simpler. Once a space is sacred it is sacred (unless desecrated) all that needs be done is give an offering of thanks, say a prayer or two and maybe ask for help or guidance. Magic is normally not done in a ritual context either (unlike most Wiccan groups who feel that rituals are mostly about magic’k’)
Of course I understand I’m treading a grey line as I try to blend between the CR and Heathen faiths, but then I am new to both and maybe one will win out over the other.  But I doubt it. For me I resonate heavily to the culture of the Celtic people, especially the Highland Clansmen of Scotland. While I feel closer to the Gods of the Nordic people save for Brigid, Llugh, Cernuous, and the Cailleach (who are all very Celtic). But many of the Highlanders have mixed descent of Nordic/Celtic ancestry and some even claim Pictish. So who knows, maybe I am on to something eh?
In addition to my Scottish identity, my Husband spent two years living in Ireland before we met and his stories and interest have blended with mine over time (of course I do have Irish ancestors as well as Scottish) so this with a strong Welch ancestry for both of us has created a kind of Pan-Celtic Identity for both of us. Then over the last year I have focused on my genealogy and come to find a very Germanic heritage as well, with Germany, Denmark, and Switzerland heavy in my family tree. So now I am exploring those cultural identities as well.  
What this means for me is I have a lot of homework in the future (never fear, I will share much of that with you) and lots of experimentation as I try to find new roots for my spiritual identity.  But for now I am content to having shrines to the various Gods I pray to, as well as to my ancestors and the land spirits around me. Lots of prayer and meditation will accompany my studies as will lots of Celtic music (bring on the fiddle and bag pipes!!).  

No comments:

Post a Comment