Friday, October 26, 2012

(How) to celebrate?



Growing up, Halloween was my favorite holiday. Perhaps because my mother hated it, but mostly there was something about the holiday that spoke to me. I remember anxiously awaiting all the spooky specials on TV. Like ”Disney’s Halloween treat” or “The Halloween that almost wasn’t”. I would start planning my costumes early (like late August/ early September) and by October first I would be down at the library checking out ever book on the subject. From arts and crafts, to “scary story’s”, to jokes and anything else I could get my hands on if my small town library carried it I read it, cover to cover at least twice by mid-October every year. And the icing on the cake was of course the big day its self. Not only the going to school in costume, and watching some movie( cause no kid can sit through a full day on Halloween) and the trick or treating, but that night at the elementary school they always had a huge carnival.  This would be full of games and contests, lots of food and a haunted house everything you could want to make the day exciting. The only problem was after that night, it was over. Somehow on November first, everyone seemed to go back to normal as if the Halloween festivities hadn’t happened at all.
As I grew, so did my love for October 31st. although my perception of the night has changed many times over the years. In high school it became a night to go out and party with friends. It was odd at first watching this once playful night turn a little dark and mysterious.  But then it became even more exciting for me for it was about this time in my life I discovered my Wiccan faith. And so Halloween was sidestepped for Samhain, an ancient Celtic festival marking the end of summer and the beginning of winter, which in all honesty is the origin of modern Halloween to begin with.  Of course the two holidays look nothing alike today. Halloween being a night of mischief and costumes and horror movie marathons, while Samhain is a night of remembrance for the beloved dead, at least in any wiccan circle I associated with.
Of course now I have walked away from most of my Wiccan practices in search of the reconstructed faith of my ancestors and find some new quandaries. In the Nordic path there is no Samhain, no holy tide on Oct 31st. after all it is purely a Celtic night. Ok maybe Halloween is something very American these days but you get my drift.  So here I sit looking at this holiday from four different directions:
1-the Halloween of my youth, full of fun and adventure with just the right amount of creepiness.
2- the Wiccan Samhain that I have walked away from but holds a connection to honoring my ancestors (something big on my current path)
3- the Celtic Samhain that seems to be more of a new year’s celebration
4- or the Nordic…which is nonexistent.
In the meantime as I work my down this new path, I’m re-exploring other traditions and trying to re-invent the wheel on my own a little. I have a stack of craft magazines and books full of all sorts of wonderful nontraditional decorating ideas. My husband and I have started our own tradition of decorating a Halloween tree (a fake Christmas tree re purposed for this holiday) and have had much fun scouring thrift stores for decorations.  And along the base in place of presents we have a bunch of fake pumpkins carved up as jack-o-lanterns. Because after all this is the most wonderful time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment