Thursday, December 13, 2012

spirits of yule


A few nights ago my husband and I attended a local Celtic Christmas dinner and concert. It was amazing, the food was good and the music was awesome. Michael Mullen from Tempest played with Pog Mo Thoin and they did a bang up job. The best part? The only did two Christmas songs (well 3 if you count greensleves) ok so this isn’t a review of a concert….well not really. Right near the end they did two covers (remakes?) done in bluegrass style. One of Billie Holidays” Summertime” and one of Pink Floyd’s “wish you were here “ and surprisingly they were amazing covers. So good in fact they brought tears to my eyes. Ok so it wasn’t the music that made me cry but the memories. You see my Dad who is in his 80’s and in a nursing home 3 states away used to sing “summertime” to me as a lullaby. Billie Holliday was a favorite artist of his. So every time I hear her or that song it reminds of my dad….who is so far away and in such poor health. The other song “wish you were here” along with the sentiment reminds me of my dear sister who is even further away. She of course being a true fan of Pink Floyd and introduced me to them when I was 13.

The experience however was a good reminder of what Yule is all about. Family, and the bonds that bring us together. In the Heathen tradition yule is 12 days long and a few of the days are devoted to family and ancestral worship. So in a way for me it felt like my ancestors were trying to say “even though you are so far away from your loved ones, they are here with you right in your heart”…just as I am theirs and just as our ancestors are in all of ours. I think this is the most important thing to remember this time of year. I know its old and cliché but it is true the gifts we get and give this time of year are not what the holiday is all about. The gifts are just a symbol of the bonds of family and friendship, they are not the bond itself.

So remember that this year as you gather with your loved ones (or not) over a hot cup of Wassail or as you pass around that horn of Mead. Remember that Love for you fellow kinsmen (both by blood and by valor) is truly what this holiday season is all about.

Happy Yule to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment